Friday, January 30, 2015

LB Basketball profile: Jake Bates

For Jake Bates the opportunity to play basketball at Linn-Benton meant the opportunity to fulfill a lifelong dream. From a young age Bates knew he wanted to pursue playing basketball at the college level.

Bates was able to fulfill that dream and is now the back up point guard at Linn-Benton. For the 2015 season he is averaging 2 points per game in 13 minutes of play. With experienced guards in front of him the rotation, Bates provides a break to the starters and prides himself on keep the offense flowing without the starters on the court.

Now a redshirt freshman at LB, Bates grew up in the nearby city of Lebanon. At a young age he played many different sports in the Lebanon area.
“I have played basketball, baseball, and soccer my entire life. I just love playing sports, whatever it is,” said Bates.
Family ties run strong with Bates as his choice to attend LB keeps him close to home and provides him the opportunity to play the game he loves in front of his dad.
“My dad coached a lot of my sports teams when I was growing up and has been, and still is, my biggest motivator.”
Bates attended high school at East Linn Christian in Lebanon. There he excelled at the three sports he grew up playing. After high school he knew he wanted to play either baseball or basketball at the next level. Linn-Benton provided him that unique chance.
“I really wanted to play basketball or baseball in college. Basketball was my first choice, but whatever gave me the best opportunity is what I was going to pick. After playing summer baseball before my freshman year of college I contacted Coach Falk and attended an open gym and decided to come here.”
After sitting out to redshirt last year, Bates has got a chance to play this season. Bates is a point guard, but can play at the shooting guard position. Bates prides himself on his ball-handling and shooting skills. For the season Bates has played limited minutes averaging about 13 per game. For the season he is only averaging 2 points per game, but contributes in other ways.
“I love to create. I like to drive in and kick the ball back out and set people up to score.”
This season Bates has come off the bench as the backup point guard. With an injury to LB guard Trever Cooley, Bates will have the opportunity to fill in and help the team.
“My goal is always to be the best that I can possibly be. This season we hope to get to the NWAC tournament, that's the ultimate goal.”

At a Glance:


You can view Jake's stats on the NWAC website. The RoadRunners are nearing the halfway point of the season, check their remaining schedule at the LB Basketball website.

Redshirt Freshman point guard Jake Bates, is averaging 2 points per game in 13 minutes. This article will help you to get to know Bates and his skill set that is sure to help the RoadRunners this year.


The 2015 LB Basketball season is underway. The team is into league play and has struggled so far this year. The teams next game is Saturday Feb. 7 at LBCC against Chemeketa CC.

Games are played at Linn Benton and opposing schools, you can view the schedule at the LB Basketball website.
This profile will help you get to know a little about Bates and the Linn Benton basketball team.

No comments:

Post a Comment